Return to Main Page
MRS. C'S SOUTH LOUISIANA OKRA COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
By popular request, I would like to share our traditional way of cooking okra
and having it ready when you cook your gumbos throughout the year.
All year long when we reach into the freezer and grab a plastic bag of frozen cooked okra and drop it into our fresh pot of gumbo...we always know how wonderful it will soon taste. But it doesn't come without a little work.
Most young cooks, and those who don't know, often purchase okra from the produce trays at the grocery store, slice them up and drop them into a gumbo...and can't figure out why they don't taste good and why they are so stringy when you eat them.
MRS. C's 8 STEPS TO PREPARING OKRA
1. Buy a fresh bushel of okra.
2. Cut okra into tiny pieces.
3. Coat bottom of large pot with cooking oil.
4. Add okra and cook on low heat.
Add 2 chopped onions, 2 chopped bell pepper, 2 cloves chopped
garlic, 2 chopped tomatoes,
6. Stir and cook on low heat until there is no slime. 1-2 hrs.
7. Cool and put cooked okra in plastic freezer bags.
8. Put bags in freezer.